Monday, March 28, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Chip Layer Cake



This is a sincere apology for slacking. I've had it on my to-do list for about two weeks now to make a new blog post, and my boyfriend has even been dropping not-so-subtle hints to let me know that desserts are lacking in this house. Well, I've finally done it, and I made it extravagant so as not to disappoint!



This was my first full weekend off in months, so I took the time to do some fun stuff and a lot of laying around doing nothing. I barely squeezed this cake out in time for the sun to be out on Sunday evening (I try to take pictures during daylight hours to make the lighting better), and even the finished product picture was taken towards the end of dusk. I was just reveling in laziness, a luxury I haven't been able to afford for the last two months.



I unfortunately will not be attending the Haile Plantation farmers market anymore. To anyone who reads this and also goes there, I'm sorry :( For those of you who supported me, I truly appreciate it and hope you will continue to read and/or come see me downtown on Wednesdays. For those of you who are just readers, this is good news for you since my weekends will be free from now on and I can spend that time making posts!



This cake is really, really good when it's fresh, as the chocolate chips are still a bit melty. Recipe below!

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup vegan butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup almond milk
1 12-oz bag mini vegan chocolate chips

1/2 cup butter
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar and mix until combined. Add almond milk and flour mixture and beat until a uniform batter forms. Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour batter evenly between three 9-inch round greased cake tins. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes (this was very variable for me as I used two different kinds of cake tins, and two only took about 20 minutes, whereas the other one took a little over 25, so keep an eye on them!) or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of each cake pan comes out cleanly.

Let cool on the counter for about 10 minutes. Then flip out of the pan onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.

Meanwhile, in another bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, almond milk, and vanilla extract until smooth.

Once the cakes are cooled completely, lay one on a flat serving surface, then cover with a thin layer of frosting with an icing spatula. Apply the second layer and repeat, then the top layer and repeat. Then cover the sides of the cake with frosting as well. Then cut and serve!

4 comments:

  1. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....that looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO gonna have to make this! It was nice seeing you guys at Publix the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes you too! not just internet personalities :)

    ReplyDelete