Sunday, March 6, 2011

Failed Vegan Marshmallows

It has been a very busy week, and is only to get busier! With this in mind, I thought today (my only day off this week) would be an opportune time to make something for the blog since my time will be sparse over the coming weeks. Well, sorry to disappoint :(

I attempted to make vegan marshmallows. I've had a craving for some time and marshmallows were also on my list of things to make that are naturally gluten-free. So this morning when I woke up, I did some research on different recipes, and came to the conclusion that I needed to get vegetable gelatin instead of agar agar since that seemed to work better.


So I hopped on my bike and took a quick ride to Ward's (the local health food market here in town) to find some, but they only had agar agar (a whopping $8 for about a quarter cup!). This is about the time I started to feel an impending sense of failure for this venture. I cringed as even the lady at the register remarked at how expensive that stuff was, rode home, and got to work.

Everything seemed to be going as it should, and the end result was not a total flop, although definitely not worthy of posting a recipe. To quote from my boyfriend, "It tastes like a marshmallow, but feels like an eyeball". Mmmm...appetizing.

So there will hopefully be more to come on the marshmallow front when I finally figure something out, because I am determined to provide vegan marshmallows to the (local) masses!

No comments:

Post a Comment