Monday, March 14, 2011

Gluten-Free Chocolate Avocado Mousse



This week has been ridiculous. From getting sick in the middle of the week, making me unable to go to the downtown market, to only selling $20 worth of stuff on Saturday morning, which doesn't even cover half of my fixed costs per market, I felt as though I was having the worst week ever. I was exhausted, I was working overtime, I had to blow my nose every five minutes, and I must say, I was bitter. Sometimes doing the markets seems like a waste of time and unappreciated effort. I'm sure no one knows how much effort goes into producing such a modest table of products (except for my business partner and possibly my boyfriend, who sees how exhausted I am every day). If nothing else, I have gained a much greater appreciation for people who successfully hold down two jobs.



Now, none of that was written to solicit pity or sympathy, nor was it to guilt anyone. This blog serves to be a personal journal of my journey through this phase of my culinary life, and the above was just me venting. Because as hard and tiring and stressful and sometimes disappointing as it all is, it's something that pushes me to do better, perfect an art I've just begun to explore, and grow as a person. Which is why instead of taking a nap and being lazy today after work, I made good use of a very ripe avocado in the fridge.



Avocado mousse is the best thing to happen to avocados since guacamole! It may sound strange, but when you think about it, it's really not. A plain avocado doesn't have an overwhelming taste, so it is more like a blank canvas with which you can paint with flavors. On top of that, the smooth, fatty, and rich texture is perfect for a decadent dessert.



This is not a vegan recipe, but can easily be made vegan by just omitting the egg whites. It won't be as fluffy or light in color as my pictures, and will have more of the consistency of a pudding, but will still be outrageously rich and delicious. Honestly the only reason I used the egg whites was because I made custard-style ice cream the other night, which required five egg yolks, and I didn't want the whites to go to waste. Also, as an aside, custard-style ice cream is the shit, and I don't know how I lived my life for 24 years without ever having it!

Recipe below!


Ingredients:

1 ripe avocado, de-pitted and peeled
6 oz chocolate
2 tsp brandy
5 egg whites

Directions:

In a medium bowl, mash avocado until smooth. If you're really weird about chunks, then you should use a food processor to get it really smooth.

Melt chocolate over low heat on the stove, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Mix in with mashed avocado, then stir in brandy.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Then, using a spatula, fold in chocolate and avocado mixture just until incorporated. Try to keep your stirring to a minimum since you want to keep as much air in the egg whites as possible.

Refrigerate for about an hour and then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment