Monday, January 17, 2011

Vegan Blueberry Muffins



This is what it looked like outside today from my apartment window. Beautiful to look at, yet miserable to be out in. On days like this, I love to just curl up with a book and tea and a sweet treat. Deciding to try and make this desire a reality, I proceeded to do the exact opposite. I ended up running all over town getting the ingredients to make these muffins and a vegan chai latte to go with it. But once I got the end result I was looking for, it was so worth it!



I also got some wonderful news today, which turned this not only into a cozy snack, but also a celebratory snack. One of my friends and soon to be business partners came over to tell me we would be up and running with a commercial kitchen to sell at the farmer's market by next week! I've been waiting for this opportunity for about a year now and today was finally the day. I'm bubbling with excitement!



The recipe for these muffins is below, and the recipe for the vegan chai latte is here. Guaranteed to make your rainy day a little brighter. Or at least more enjoyable.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup plain almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pint fresh blueberries
brown sugar for sprinkling

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium sized bowl, sift four, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon very well.

In another medium bowl, mix sugar, melted butter, and apple cider vinegar until smoothly incorporated. Add almond milk and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir very slowly just until incorporated. Make sure not to over-mix so that your muffins will retain pockets in them while baking.

Mix in the blueberries ever so carefully.

Spoon into a greased muffin tin until all compartments are equally full. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of each muffin. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.

Let cool for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment