Monday, May 9, 2011

Gluten-Free Chocolate Orange Cake



I was recently invited to a gluten-free potluck to celebrate a friend's birthday. Now, I've expressed my trepidation when it comes to gluten-free baking before, and since I'm known amongst my friends as a fantastic baker, the pressure was really on (probably just inside my own head)! And while I do like challenges, I also had been wanting to try a gluten-free recipe from Cafe Fernando for such a long time, so I took the easy way out and made this cake.



Mine did not turn out nearly as well as his did, though! I was in a rush to get this done in time for the potluck, so instead of letting it cool all the way, I just popped it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then tried to get it out of the pan. Well, it wasn't cool enough and just came apart on the cooling rack, a ruin of crumbs and a prime indicator of my procrastination.



I was furious with myself! How could I have waited until the very last minute to start making this cake, especially when I didn't have much experience making gluten-free things, and trying a recipe for the first time! But my ingenuity almost completely offsets my procrastination, and I quickly threw the crumbs into a souffle dish, pressed them down so they would stick together, and poured the chocolate lacquer over the top of this, then let it firm up in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This way no one could tell it looked miserable, but still tasted just as delicious!

And I also did not get a picture of my final cake, because I apparently am just the worst food blogger alive! Haha! Recipe can be found at the link above.


No comments:

Post a Comment