Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Vegan Blackberry Frozen Yogurt



I've been on an ice cream kick lately. I'm sorry if this is unseasonal for you, but it's been almost uncomfortably warm here the past couple weeks. My biggest pet peeve with Gainesville is that it goes from winter to summer almost overnight (and the same with summer to winter)! Oh how I miss spring and autumn...



But the warm weather means I can finally bust out with my ice cream maker! I got this for my birthday back in October. And by "I got it", i really mean I ordered it on Amazon in October, and didn't receive it at my doorstep until Christmas, at which time it was much too cold to play with it. So I put it away in the back of the cupboard and the back of my mind and patiently awaited the glorious day in which I could make my own ice cream.



And my patience has been rewarded.

Recipe:

Ingredients:

2 cups blackberry juice*
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2/3 cup grenadine**
1 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt

*I squeezed fresh blackberries through a strainer to get blackberry juice. I'm not sure where you can buy it straight up like that. You can substitute cranberry or pomegranate (or any other dark fruit juice) if you don't feel like going through the hassle of squeezing blackberries. Just make sure it's 100% real juice!

**I just used simple cherry grenadine because that's what I had on hand, but you can make a fruit syrup to replace it by simmering fruit juice over a burner until it has reduced down to 2/3 cup.

Directions:

In a medium sauce pan, heat juice and sugar and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Take off heat and add lemon juice. Stir.

Pour into a bowl and add soy yogurt and grenadine. Mix well. Chill in refrigerator for about three hours. Then add to ice cream maker and let it do its thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment