Monday, February 14, 2011

The Fruits of My Labor

What you are about to see looks so simple, yet contains countless hours, LOTS of flour, too much money for my tiny wallet, a couple break-downs, and more pride than Simba ever saw. You know, because he's a lion, and lions gather in prides. Anywho, this is the set-up of my farmer's market table!



This has been a joint effort with my business partner, Mustafa. I can't even begin to tell you how crazy my life has been in the past couple weeks. Which is why, my dear readers, I haven't been posting delicious recipes for you to try, but I promise that will resume in the coming weeks. I went from daydreaming about getting paid to bake vegan confections while tirelessly, monotonously typing away, to actually having a business in which I do just that in just two short weeks. Craziness.



My partner makes salted caramels and brownies for the time being, but is expanding his line to other candies and other non-vegan delights. I am basically in charge of everything vegan (although on these signs I didn't have anything labeled as vegan since I wasn't sure how that would be receptive on the affluent side of town). Right now, I'm focusing on doughnuts, tarts, and cupcakes.



I've also become an expert on so many things I thought I would never care about, such as how to pick out the perfect boxes for your confections (and how to assemble those boxes once they arrive in a flat mass on your doorstep via the FedEx guy), how much one cup of flour costs, what font you want on your business card, and how to set up the table to lure people into looking more closely and what you have to offer.



Since I'm technically a real-live adult and am fairly self-sustaining, I haven't gotten to quit my typing-in-a-dungeon job yet. Starting a business, as I've come to find out, is not only expensive, but very time consuming, so I've been burning both ends of the candle the last few weeks. This came to a head on Friday, when I worked at the kitchen from 7:00am to 5:00pm and then at my paying job from 5:00pm until 11:30pm. I cried a little bit.



So that's my long-winded excuse for not posting any recipes, but I promise I will. The super craziness is over for now. If you live in Gainesville, come out to the downtown farmer's market to support local food! It's on Wednesday evenings from 3:00pm until 7:00pm in the downtown plaza.

3 comments:

  1. Keep going, Mis Malulu! It's been awhile since you posted this but it's probably no less true today, a month and a half later, than it was that day. Keep following your dream so that the rest of us can delight in your culinary prowess guiltlessly. Funny- I was just at the post office trying to figure out how to assemble a shipping box. It's like an exercise in origami. Geez. And I only wanted to mail something. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S> That was me, Marcia. I forgot to log out of my analytics account for my work website. Hee-hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's definitely getting easier as time goes on, but still a lot of work! a lot has been learned in the last two months. and i was only $40 short of breaking even for the month of March, so things are looking up! thanks for the encouragement...needed that today :)

    ReplyDelete