Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Failed Vegan Brownies



What you see above is my pan soaking in water to try and get the sticky, glued-on chocolate mess off of my pan from my first vegan brownie attempt.


Lately I've been in the mood for gooey, fudgey, super-rich brownies. I had always been under the impression that good vegan brownies would be hard to make, and alas, they are. Unless you like cake-like brownies, in which case, that's no problem. But dense, fudgey brownies are very hard to do without eggs.

I tried to adapt this recipe by replacing the eggs with an over-ripe banana and doubling the flour to get some extra gluten in there. What I ended up with was a delicious goop of buttery chocolate which, while it was quite edible, was not brownies.



Now that I've actually tried to make vegan brownies (instead of just telling people how hard it is to do), I think I will continue to try to make it happen. I can't see how the mess-ups couldn't be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment